McKinney Vento Law/Homeless Student Information

Rights of Students Experiencing Homelessness

(Information for School-Aged Youth)

If you live in any of the following situations:

  • "Doubled up" living with friends or family due to loss of housing, economic hardship or a similar reason

  • Living in a motel, hotel, or campground due to lack of adequate housing

  • Living in emergency, temporary or transitional shelters

  • Living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, bus or train stations or similar settings

  • Youth not residing with legal parent or guardian in one of the above situations


Then you have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act.

You have the right to:

  • Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there. Enroll, attend classes, and participate fully in all school activities while the school gathers records.

  • Continue in the school you attended before you became homeless or the school you last attended, if that is in your best interest and it is feasible. The School District’s local liaison for homeless education is Emily Fixler, MSW

  • Receive transportation to the school you attended before you became homeless or the school you last attended, if you request such transportation.

  • Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other children served in these programs

  • Enroll in school without giving a permanent address. Schools cannot require proof of residency that might prevent or delay school enrollment.

  • Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment. 

  • Free breakfast and lunch for the school year.

When you move, you should do the following:

  • Contact the School District’s local liaison for homeless education for help enrolling in a new school or arranging to continue in your former school. (Ask the local liaison for homeless education, the shelter provider, or a social worker for assistance with clothing and supplies, if needed.)

  • Tell your teachers anything that you think they need to know to help you in school. 

Dispute process

  • In the event that a parent/guardian of a student experiencing homelessness disagrees with the placement decision made by the local Homeless Liaison, the parent/guardian can appeal the local Homeless Liaison’s decision by contacting the appropriate school principal. Further appeals may be made to the Director of Student Services Dr. Lois DaSilva-Knapton, or the SAU 90 Superintendent by calling (603) 926-4560. The New Hampshire State Coordinator for Homeless Education can be contacted in the case of disputes still remaining unresolved after appeal.

  • Please note that Unaccompanied Youth will be assisted throughout the appeal process by the local Homeless Liaison, as specified in the McKinney Vento legislation.

The local Homeless Liaison for the Hampton School District is Emily Fixler, MSW. Please contact Emily by calling the outreach cell (603) 858-9810. The New Hampshire State Coordinator for Homeless Education is Christina Dotson, who can be reached by email at or by phone at (603) 271-3840.

Information on this page is provided by the National Center for Homeless Education and the State of New Hampshire Department of Education. Please visit them online at and NH Department of Education, Homeless Children and Youth


SchoolHouse Connection
Supporting the attendance of students experiencing homelessness.

Hope Starts Here
Website providing statewide information and resources for families, youth, and individuals in homeless situations.

NH Department of Health and Human Services Bureau of Housing Support
(603) 271-9196

McKinney-Vento Frequently Asked Questions