WELCOME BACK NEWSLETTER
Dear Hampton Academy Parents and Students,
We would like to take this opportunity to welcome you back to school! In honor of this occasion, we invite you and your child to join us on Monday, August 25, from 5:30-7:30 PM. Sixth grade parents and students will have the opportunity to meet your teachers, see your classrooms and receive an orientation to welcome you to Hampton Academy. Grade 7 & 8 parents and students will also be able to meet with their teams and start the new year off right with a brief curriculum presentation and other important grade level information. The school district handbook and calendar are on the SAU 90 website. Hampton Academy has its own addendum for the district handbook, as it addresses topics specific to middle school students. Please take time as a family to read both the handbook and the addendum. There are multiple other forms coming home for you to complete and return as well. Please take time to read, sign and return any forms by Thursday, September 4th.
The school year begins with the traditional “Ringing of the Academy Bell” on the front lawn at 7:40 AM, Tuesday, August 26th. Teachers will meet their homeroom students outside the dining hall prior to the ringing of the bell. All community members are welcome to attend. Our regular school day schedule begins at 7:40 AM and dismissal is at 2:22 PM. After school programs take place on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays until 3:25 PM. A late bus is available, on those three days only, and leaves the school at approximately 3:35 PM. Athletics play an important role in many students’ middle school experience. If your child is planning on participating in any fall sports, he/she must have a current physical on file with our school nurse prior to participating in try-outs, practices, or games. Our school nurse would also like to remind parents that immunization records must be updated to include tetanus and chicken pox boosters prior to the start of school. If you have any questions, please call our school nurse, Karen Brand, at 926-2000.
Parents and visitors are always welcome at Hampton Academy. The safety of our students requires ALL VISITORS to stop at the office, sign in, and affix a “VISITOR” tag while in the building. School office hours are 7:15 AM to 4:00 PM. Parent-Teacher conferences are held in November. However, conferences may be scheduled any time by contacting your child’s homeroom teacher. We encourage home/school relationships and look forward to your involvement with our school. If you have any questions regarding our programs, please call us at 926-2000, or fax to 926-1855.
PLEASE TAKE SPECIAL NOTE
1. Parents must notify the office prior to the start of school if their child will not be in attendance that day.
2. Students may not arrive at school before 7:25 AM.
3. Emergency Contact Information must be on file in case of medical or other emergencies and should be updated immediately following any changes in contact information.
4. The use of cell phones by students is prohibited during the school day without permission from a staff member. Cell phones must be turned off and secured in lockers or book bags or may be left at the office or with a homeroom teacher. If a cell phone is confiscated, it will ONLY be returned to the parent.
5. Changes in dismissal transportation will only be approved after the principal has received written, faxed, or e-mailed signed by a parent or guardian. Requests will not be accepted over the phone.
6. Electronic devices (iPods, cell phones, video games of any kind) may not be used on the busses or at Hampton Academy, unless permission has been given by a staff member. Students are expected to follow school and bus rules at all times. Disrespectful language and violent behavior will not be tolerated at Hampton Academy.
7. Parents dropping children off at school may stop along the west side of Academy Avenue only. Students should use the crosswalks. Please note: There is no parking or dropping students off in our “bus area” or on the east side of Academy Avenue; this creates congestion and potentially dangerous situations.
Upcoming events are listed below and will also be available on our school’s web site at http://sau90.org/ha
The Academy web site is a great resource for school and educational information along with our monthly newsletters and lunch menus. Again, please call 926-2000 if you have any questions or concerns. The entire staff joins me in extending a warm welcome to each of you as the new school year begins. We look forward to seeing you soon!
David O’Connor, Principal
Monday, August 25 Grade 6 Orientation, Grade 7 & 8 Welcome Back/Meet Your Teachers 5:30 – 7:30 PM
Tuesday, August 26 School Starts, Bell Ringing Ceremony – 7:40 AM
Friday, August 29 & Monday, September 1 No School – Labor Day Weekend
Monday, Sept. 8 Instrument (Rental) Night, 6:30 PM
Wednesday, Sept. 10 Environmental School Night for 6th Grade at 6:30 PM/Quebec Trip Meeting, 7:30 PM
Thursday, September 11 School Picture Day